If you love Christian Fiction, you are in the right place. You will find book reviews, author interviews, and commentaries, on a variety of Christian Fiction. The information here will be presented in an easy to follow and easy to read format, that will allow you to get to what you're interested in quickly. Our goal is to get you plugged in to the stories your interested in, and to help you discover new stories in a way that is both entertaining, and engaging.

Enjoy your stay, and God bless you for sharing your time with us.

Scott Sheets: Children's Adventure

Sunday, September 5, 2010

| | |
CFBR: Hi Scott, thanks for joining us. Tell us about Daniel and the Sea Serpent.

Scott: Daniel and the Sea Serpent details the adventure of a desert dwelling thirteen-year-old boy named Daniel. He has dreamed of sailing on the ocean for as long as he can remember, which never made sense to him because he lived in the desert. Through a bizarre series of events, he’s thrust out to sea on an ancient ship where he discovers the lost scroll of his people and meets a massive sea serpent named Seneca. If he hopes to survive, he must discern the truth between the scroll and the serpent.

CFBR: What can kids learn from reading it?

Scott: My hope is that they will learn they can trust God’s word no matter the circumstances they may find themselves in.

CFBR: What are the Christian themes of the book?

Scott: You will find the themes of truth, sacrifice, and forgiveness in the book. You won’t find an explicit gospel message spelled out, but you will find the importance and authority of God’s word emphasized and allusion to Christ’s sacrifice.

CFBR: Is there a hook in the first chapter, if so, what is?

Scott: If I don’t have a hook, then I’m in trouble. Daniel’s dreams are mentioned in the first paragraph, and by the end of the first chapter, he discovers a mysterious object buried deep in the sand that he has to identify. Those that have read it have said that it’s one of those books you don’t want to put down. I hope others will also find that to be the case.

CFBR: How did you come up with the idea for your book?

Scott: Our family was on vacation and my oldest son asked me to tell them a story to pass the time as we traveled. Each night, he asked me to tell the next chapter in the story. By the time we arrived back home, I began to think that there was some potential in the storyline. The story went through a number of revisions and modifications, but the kernel of the story began on that vacation.

CFBR: What has surprised you most as a first time author?

Scott: The amount of work involved in rewriting and marketing. The oft repeated saying is true, “There are no good writers; there are only good rewriters.” I honestly don’t know how many times I went through the story and changed a character or tweaked a scene. It seemed like a never ending process. But now that that’s done, I’ve discovered marketing involves as much work if not more. Writing the first draft, in many ways, is the easy part.

CFBR: How many books are you planning for this series?

Scott: I’m planning three books for sure, but I’m also toying with the possibility of doing a couple back story novels that I think would be exciting in and of themselves. Right now I’m focused on book two. It’s an exciting plot that I’m eager to finish. I’m hoping to have it available by next spring or early next summer.

CFBR: What do you hope to accomplish with this series?

Scott: This is going to be a two-part answer. I hope that the books themselves might encourage youth to look to God’s word as the source of truth, and learn they can trust in God. But I’m also hoping to fund an adoption through the proceeds of the series. There’s a minor storyline about orphans in the novel, and in the time since I wrote the first draft, the Lord has laid it on our family’s heart to pursue adoption. As an adoptee myself, I would love the opportunity to provide a family for a child who needs one.

That is definitely a worthy cause. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us


Available at Amazon
Daniel and the Sea Serpent

11 comments:

John Hileman said...

Leave a comment here to win a signed paperback of Daniel and the Sea Serpent. You must be in the U.S. or Canada, and it would help us if you leave your email address. Check back to make sure your comment gets moderated, and appears here. If it does not, email me at johnhileman [at] gmail [dot] com. Thanks for stopping by!

Unknown said...

Thanks for a great interview - it helped me as a newbie to this writing business. Scott's story will be exciting for the young ones to hear or read. I have grandchildren, great-grandchildren,and young people at my church who would enjoy reading this book. Please add my name to the giveaway and thanks, John for the opportunity to win. I hope I do!!

Blessings,
Barb Shelton
barbjan10 at tx dot rr dot com

Cleveland W. Gibson said...

I liked the interview and the responses to the questions raised. Young people need inspirational material these days, and others too. Is there a chance of confusing Daniel in the Bible with the Daniel in your book. Also I think your last line in the synopsis might need a fine adjustment to read smoother, but that's my opinion.
Other wise well done.
I am in the UK so leave my name out of the draw for the giveaway. Goodluck to all who enter.

Cleveland W. Gibson
Author, writer,poet.

Unknown said...

Hello: Loved the interview. Daniel and the Sea Serpent looks like a great adventure book along the lines of the Magic Tree House series except with a Christian slant which is great. I have a nine year old boy who would love this as he is fascinated with Daniel's story in the Bible. Please enter me to win a copy for him. Thank you.

Wendy Cleveland
lulubee183 (at) gmail (dot) com

Melissa said...

Hello, I have a nephew who loves to read. I would love to get him "into" Christian Fiction and your book sounds like a great start. Sounds like something he would enjoy.
Thanks,
Melissa

Pam B said...

The book Daniel and the Sea Serpent sounds like a wonderful story for kids and especially for boys. Helping children learn to trust in God through a great story is important and just the type of book I looked for for my godsons. Thanks for letting us know about it.
Pamela Barrett

John Hileman said...

I hope you do too, Barb. Thanks for stopping by again.

Thanks for the input Cleveland. It's good to have visitors form the UK. We have some authors who are willing to do UK and Worldwide distribution of giveaways, so keep checking back. Sorry we couldn't for this one.

You're entered Wendy!

It is exciting to hear about how you are sharing Daniel and the Sea Serpent with your nephew, Melissa. We love to hear feedback like that.

You are welcome, Pam. Thanks for checking out what the Lord is doing here on our little blog.

Regards,
John Hileman
Managing Editor

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story to share with little people just learning about Jesus. Hope you intend to write more books like this. Great teaching tools for church schools or readers.

Blessings,
Barb Shelton
barbjan10 at tx dot rr dot com

John Hileman said...

You are so sweet, Barb. I look forward to your comments. You have such an encouraging spirit.

Regards,
John Michael Hileman
Managing Editor

Unknown said...

I was not going to check out this book until I suddenly realized what a great book it would be for my grandson, Stephen. I am always wondering what books I could buy for him that would keep his interest and not have to worry about extreme content (if you know what I mean). So please put me in the drawing and if I don't win I plan to buy it for him for Christmas this year. Thanks for the idea.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

It looks like a great book. My son and husband love to read about adventures. Where it is a Christian book now my son can see how God wins the battle.
Heidi
trumpeter500@hotmail.com

Post a Comment

We are excited to receive your comment. The moderator will review it, and post it in the order it is processed. God bless!