If you love Christian Fiction, you are in the right place. You will find book reviews, author interviews, and commentaries, on a variety of Christian Fiction. The information here will be presented in an easy to follow and easy to read format, that will allow you to get to what you're interested in quickly. Our goal is to get you plugged in to the stories your interested in, and to help you discover new stories in a way that is both entertaining, and engaging.

Enjoy your stay, and God bless you for sharing your time with us.

Carrie Turansky: Inspirational Romance

Saturday, August 28, 2010

| | |

CFBR: Hi, Carrie. Thanks for talking with us. Tell us about the two books you have coming out.

Carrie: Thanks for inviting me to be a guest on your blog, and thanks for asking about my two new books. 

Christmas Mail-Order Brides, is a historical inspirational romance collection of four novellas about young women who travel west in the 1880s on the new transcontinental railroad to marry men they have never met. Each bride heads for a different state on rail line, adding variety to the stories. 

My novella, A Trusting Heart, features Swedish immigrant, Annika Bergstrom, who takes the train from Chicago to Wyoming to meet a young widowed rancher with a seven-year-old daughter, but when she arrives her groom has disappeared. While she waits for his return, she finds herself falling in love with his brother, and she must decide if she will follow her heart or wait for the man she promised to marry. My co-authors are Vickie McDonough, Susan Page Davis, and Therese Stenzel. It's published by Barbour Publishing and available in stores September 1.



The second book, Seeking His Love, is a contemporary inspirational romance. It tells the story of Rachel Clark, a young teacher who moves to Fairhaven, Washington, after being falsely accused of having an inappropriate relationship with one of her students. She takes a job as director of a youth theater program and must find a new location for her group. The Fairhaven Arts Center has the ideal space, but Cameron McKenna, who oversees the center, is not eager to include her or her kids. Cam lost his wife and young son in a tragic accident five years earlier, and being around children reminds him of the guilt he still carries. When a family crisis occurs, he must temporarily care for his fourteen-year-old niece, and he needs Rachel’s help and advice. She comes along side and not only teaches him how to relate to his niece, she also shows him how to overcome his past hurts and open his heart to love again. Seeking His Love is published by Steeple Hill and available on September 28th.

CFBR: How do you use Fiction to connect people to God?

Carrie: I believe Christian fiction not only offers people a great way to relax and escape, it provides hope, encouragement, and inspiration as readers identify with the experiences of the characters, and then see how their faith is lived out. Fiction has a way of touching the heart just like the parables of Jesus did. If God's truth is skillfully woven into the story, then it can have a lasting impact on readers.

CFBR: What is your writing process? 

Carrie: I use a combination of pre-writing tools including Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake program and Susie Warren's My Book Therapy ideas. I get to know my characters, their dreams, fears, goals, desires, the lies they believe and the truths that will set them free, and then I outline the story. Each day when I sit down to write I reread a bit from the day before, lightly editing, then I continue on and work toward my word count goal. I try to turn off the internal editor and just write, knowing it is a bit stinky, but that I will be able to go back and revise. That is tough. I want it to come out perfect the first time I write, but that doesn't usually happen, and that's okay. It's better to be creative and get it down, then go back later and revise. 

CFBR: What authors do you draw inspiration from?

Carrie: I love to read! Some of my favorites are Cathy Gohlke, Trish Perry, Jan Karron, Siri Mitchell, Denise Hunter, Robin Lee Hatcher, and many others. 

CFBR: How do you market and promote your books?

Carrie: I believe the best marketing tool is to write a great book that makes readers want to buy that next book. I also believe in building relationships with readers by responding to their emails, connecting on facebook, and offering them information on my website and through newsletters to keep them informed about my books. I do a lot of online promotion through blog interviews. I give away free books all the time. This summer I took speakers training through Proverbs 31 She Speaks Conference so I can improve in that area. I attend conferences and learn all I can. I promote other authors and am involved in American Christian Fiction Writers. That's a great organization for training and networking.

CFBR: Do you have any advice for aspiring Christian Fiction authors?

Carrie: I encourage aspiring authors to join ACFW. You can learn so much about the business of publishing and the skills you need to improve your writing. They have an informative e-loop, monthly classes, a great website with tons of info archived, critique groups, and a fantastic annual national conference. It's in Indianapolis this year, September 17 - 20. Visit their website for info.

After you write that first book, write a second. You learn how to write by writing and reading, so don't stop after that first book. You never know how successful you could be if you quit. I wrote 5 complete books before the first one was accepted by a publisher. That took me about 5 years. It was a huge investment, but I consider those books like going to college to study writing. And now when I look back at my first book I cringe a little, and I am glad I kept learning and growing as a writer. 

CFBR: Thank you so much for sharing with us.

CFBR: You're welcome, John. I want to invite your blog readers to come by my website for more tips for writers, info on my books, recipes, articles, a list of books I'm reading and recommend, photos, and more. Blessings and happy reading and writing!

Carrie Turansky
http://www.facebook.com/l/f9fcbi6WCU-6Ans7gyT2UxNWn0Q;www.carrieturansky.com


Available at Amazon
Seeking His Love
Christmas Mail-Order Brides

10 comments:

Marianne Evans said...

Hi, Carrie! I'm a White Rose Publishing author who writes, and loves to read, contemporary inspirationals! Your book sounds sensational, and I'm here to both support you, and become part of this blog site! I'm a writer myself, and want to shower support on the Inspys!! John, thanks for kicking off this blog!

God bless, and much, much success!!

Swan said...

Hi Carrie, I like to read a variety of Christian books including fiction and non-fiction. You mention that one of the authors you draw inspiration from is Robin Lee Hatcher. I liked the book by her that I read. And your intro to your book sounds interesting. So I'd like to read your new book.

LINDA'S BOOK GARDEN said...

Interesting post with great information. I have to admit I am new to Christian books (though not sweet romance). Looking forward to learning more.

XD said...

I love the Love Inspired Line. ENter me in the contest. rhaina(dot)randell(at)hotmail(dot)com

Thanks

Teish said...

Thanks for posting a really great interview! I love to hear about how authors go through the process of writing. Carrie gave some great tips for aspiring authors! I'll be looking into them. :-)

Looking forward to more author interviews!

Carrie Turansky said...

Thanks, everyone. It's great to read your comments.There are so many wonderful books out there to enjoy!
Happy reading,
Carrie

Ausjenny said...

I love the Love inspired books and love Barbour's novella's I always buy the christmas books and am hoping to order them the end of September.
if an aussie can enter please enter me
ausjenny at gmail dot com
both books look really good.

TJ said...

These sound like some really great books that I would love to read! I enjoy reading Christian books because they help me understand other Christians and non-Christians better which in turn helps me understand how to reach out to those in need. Please enter me!! tjdsmoore at hotmail dot com. Thanks!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the Love Inspired books. Please enter me to win Seeking His Love. Sheila C.

authorkathyeberly said...

Hi Carrie, I don't believe I've read any of your books yet, however, I am a devotee of LI Books. I would love to win your book!
authorkathyeberly@gmail(dot)com.

Post a Comment

We are excited to receive your comment. The moderator will review it, and post it in the order it is processed. God bless!